Below is a very good & concise instructional video I found about washing cashmere & wool clothing. It comes from the housekeeping
goddess Martha Stewart. However, I do have my own modifications for even easier cleaning:
- Unlike Martha Stewart, you don’t have to measure your sweaters before washing 🙂
- You can use Dawn, the dish washing liquid, to wash wool & cashmere. Just don’t put too much.
- If you want you can even use gentle soaps such as olive oil etc to lather your wool and cashmere clothes.
- Be gentle to wool – no wringing, just squeezing 🙂
- You don’t need a towel to air dry/lay your sweater on. Instead, you can use a big plastic bag – lay it on flat surface & smooth your sweater (wool clothes) on it to desired shape and let it air dry. The top surface dries first, in which case you can turn over the clothing so that the bottom surface also dries faster.
In my opinion, hand-washing wool & cashmere is much better for the durability of natural fibers. It’d also save you time & money versus going to the laundress. If you know any other tips & tricks, be sure to comment or share.
Thank you & happy laundering 🙂